Mother's Day is nearly here, so it's time to start thinking about what to get Mom. A pampering collection of beauty can be a thoughtful gift for any mother and an unexpected alternative to flowers and candy. To help make Mother's Day shopping a little easier this year, I put together this Top 10 Gifts for Mother’s Day 2013. I hope it will help you find the perfect thing for your mother in no time.
1. Philosophy Amazing Grace Mothers Are a Gift Fragrance Layering Collection
– This year, Philosophy
has released a special Philosophy Amazing Grace mother’s day fragrance layering collection
, which is made with Mom in mind. The set includes a spray fragrance, body butter and pink nail polish, all scented with the most popular fragrance in the Philosophy
line. The Philosophy Amazing Grace
scent is very lightweight and won’t overpower Mom’s senses.
2. Clarisonic PLUS Skin Care System with Spot Treatment – White
produces hand-held cleansing devices that deeply clean the pores and exfoliate the complexion. The Clarisonic Plus Skin Care System & Spot Therapy Kit
has a special mode for problem zones like the elbows and feet, allowing Mom to enjoy the cleansing benefits of a Clarisonic Plus
while recreating spa-quality exfoliating treatments at home. Clarisonic
systems are clinically shown to increase the absorption of other skin care products as well, so your gift will give her entire daily regimen a boost.
3. Alterna BAMBOO Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner Duo
– Looking for a gift for a Mom that is always upset over bad hair days? The Alterna BAMBOO Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner Duo
is a perfect fit. This duo from Alterna
includes Alterna BAMBOO Smooth
shampoo and conditioner products, which work together to reduce frizz and strengthen damaged hair strands. To deliver results, Alterna
uses bamboo extract and other natural ingredients, making the duo perfect for eco-conscious mamas.
4. Too Faced Natural Eye Neutral Eye Shadow Collection
– Mom is sure to love experimenting with the beautiful shades in this Too Faced Natural Eye Shadow Collection
. The Too Faced
palette includes nine different eye shadow shades, grouped together to make it easy to create lovely makeup looks, and their neutral tones make the palette perfect for everyday use. In addition, Too Faced
provides tutorial cards in the cover of the case to make cosmetic application foolproof.
5. Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Resurfacing Kit
– If Mom has been teasing about plastic surgery or laser treatments to address signs of aging, the Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Resurfacing Kit
is a great gift for her. This set includes three products that contain a unique ingredient to Peter Thomas Roth
products—dragon’s blood extract. This red resin derived from a tree in the Amazon alleviates inflammation and encourages cellular rejuvenation. In clinical trials, the Peter Thomas Roth
products were shown to begin producing results after just one application.
6. Taymor Spa Essentials Bath Caddy Gift Ensemble
– Taymor Spa is known for producing affordable beauty gift sets
that are very practical, and this collection is no exception. The set includes a loofah pad, a bathing poof, a nailbrush and a pumice stone as well as a shower caddy and a reading rack. With these spa essentials, Mom can easily transform her tub into a day spa.
7. Calvin Klein Obsession Eau de Parfum Spray for Women
- This is one of the best sellers among all perfume and cologne
collections, so you can’t go wrong by choosing it as a Mother’s Day gift. The classic fragrance is exotic and spicy, yet it is not too heavy for daytime wear.
8. HoMedics – Dual Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat
- After a long day at the office or working around the home, Mom deserves a little massage and relaxation
time. This cushion allows her to give herself a massage while sitting in a chair. The pad has 12 separate nodes to fully treat the back and uses heat to soothe aching, tired muscles. A remote control is included, so Mom can start and stop her treatment without turning around.
9. Marsona TSCi-330 Travel Sound Conditioner
- Is Mom frequently on the road for work, or does she take long vacations? Get her one of these from a travel store
and treat her to a more restful night's sleep when she's away from home. This unique device produces soothing white noise that drowns out the echoes from noisy streets or hotel hallways. Solid-state electronics make it very durable, and the sound conditioner is so compact that it can fit into carry-on luggage with ease.
10. ANSR Sole Rechargeable Handheld Callus Remover
- With summer quickly approaching, Mom is likely thinking about foot care
and sandals, so consider a gift that will help her get the perfect pedi. The hand-held tool contains a polishing plate that safely files away rough spots on the feet. A silicone ring captures the cellular debris to eliminate the mess that often accompanies the use of a traditional foot file.
Whatever gift you choose for Mom, make sure to pick up a thoughtful card to go with it. If you decide to buy online and ship directly to your mother, use the gift wrapping option and add a message to make your present a little extra special.
Plants are crucial to our survival. They release oxygen into the atmosphere. They provide us natural fibers for clothing. They form an important part of a healthy diet, and increasingly, western medicine is accepting that the extracts contained in many plants are beneficial for our health and well-being.
As the benefits of essential oils become more widely accepted, these fragrant, nutrient-rich extracts are finding their way into many types of skin and hair care products. Today, I want to review some of the best of the best of these formulas, produced by some of the biggest names in natural skin care like L'Occitane
and Art of Shaving
Fighting the Effects of Aging with Essential Oils
collection of skin care, bath and body
products uses essential oils derived from plants found in the beautiful countryside of Provence, France, and other regions of the country. One of the most well-known and effective lines in the range is the L’Occitane Immortelle
collection, which features the oil obtained from the rare immortelle flower, which grows on the French island of Corsica.
Immortelle flowers contain nutrients that help protect the plant from environmental stress, and the oil derived from its stems, buds and leaves is rich in these antioxidants. When applied to the skin, the antioxidants form a barrier that limits the effects of free radicals, the reactive particles that cause wrinkles and fine lines to appear on the complexion.L’Occitane Immortelle Precious Cream
incorporates nourishing immortelle extract with a blend of rich emollients. Perfect for women with dry skin who are concerned about signs of aging, the formula releases moisture to the skin continuously for 24 hours.
The benefits of the L’Occitane Immortelle Precious Cream
for the face are mirrored in the L’Occitane Ultra Rich Eye Balm with Shea Butter
. This eye treatment softens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes while fighting signs of dehydration. For those with normal to oily skin, the skin care, bath and spa
collection also contains the L’Occitane Immortelle Eye Balm
, which is lighter in weight.Essential Oils for the Perfect Shave
The Art of Shaving
focuses on luxury skin care for men
, creating shaving and grooming products
that are rich in essential oils. The collection is intended to make skin care easier for men and to help fight against the irritation caused by razors.
Two of the most effective and most glowingly reviewed products in the skin care range are The Art of Shaving Cream Lavender
and The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil Lavender
. As their names suggest, these formulas contain the essential oil of the lavender flower, which is commonly used in the treatments of practitioners of aromatherapy & essential oils
therapies. Lavender has both a calming effect on the skin and on the senses, so it’s perfect for alleviating the symptoms of inflammation and redness that accompany shaving.
Made with 100 percent pure essential oils, The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil Lavender
has a softening effect upon the beard and readies the facial skin for shaving. Applying the oil prior to shaving greatly reduces the likelihood of razor burn, especially when the formula is paired with The Art of Shaving Cream Lavender
. This rich cream combines glycerin and coconut oil with lavender extract to soften, moisturize and soothe the skin throughout shaving. The cream perfectly lubricates the contours of the face, making nicks and cuts far less likely.Essential Oils for Beauty and RelaxationBath and body oils
made with pure essential oils aren’t just beneficial for the facial skin. Essential oils can be used for alternative health care treatments, intensive hair care treatments, massage and relaxation
Just like your face, your hair can become dry and show signs of damage due to the effects of sunlight, pollution and your lifestyle. The PHYTO Huile d’Ales Intense Hydrating Oil Treatment with Essential Oils Dry Hair
is a hair care treatment designed to restore moisture to the hair stands, making your locks easier to style. To deliver results, the formula contains a blend of wheat-strengthening rice proteins and essential oils like calendula, castor, sage, lemon, rosemary and juniper. The formula is ideal for anyone with dry, damaged hair, even those with color-treated locks.
Numerous studies have been conducted about the effects of pure tea tree oil, an essential oil that has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Because of its unique properties, natural practitioners use tea tree oil preparations like NOW Essential Oils Tea Tree Oil
as solutions for acne, minor skin infections and lice. The essential oil is also very soothing when added to a bath or to warm water as a foot soak.
For those interested in leading a more natural life, products that contain essential oils can offer effective solutions. In addition to the products I’ve mentioned, there are dozens and dozens of others available on the market. By researching them on your own, you can discover new ways to use the best of what plants have to offer to improve your appearance.
You simply can't underestimate the effect that your eyebrows have upon the overall look of your face. Don't believe me? Do a quick Google Image search for "actresses without eyebrows," and check out the first few results of photographs to see how beautiful celebrities look without them! Once you become an eyebrow believer, you're sure to want to keep yours looking perfectly sculpted and smooth, so follow these 10 tips to get the perfect tweeze.
1. Shower first. You should always tweeze freshly cleansed, exfoliated eyebrows. While you can simply wash your face in the sink before tweezing, showering helps to dilate your pores, allowing the hairs to slip out more easily. This means less tugging and less pain.
2. Draw guide lines or use a stencil. When you're first beginning to get your eyebrows into perfect shape at home, pre-draw the correct shape onto your brow and then comb your brows flat. Some cosmetics companies even make stencils that you can use to easily get the perfect arch. This will help prevent over-plucking and unevenness. I like to use a white eyeliner or illuminating eye pencil to make my lines.
3. The perfect starting place. The inner corners of your eyebrows should line up with the middles of your nostrils. Use an eyebrow pencil to determine this position and make a mark to guide you.
4. Finish strong. The outer corner of your eyebrows should line up diagonally with the outside corner of your eye.
5. Add the arch. The arch of your eyebrows should be positioned at the end of a straight line that connects the center of the colored part of your eyes and the tip of your nose.
6. Light it up. Use a mirror with a built in light to make sure you can see every hair; however, don't use magnifying mirrors, as these can trick you into overplucking.
7. Choose your weapon wisely. Only use tweezers with slanted, flat ends. Never use ones with pointed tips for plucking.
8. Easy does it. Don't pull too hard when you're plucking. If you're too aggressive, you could cause skin irritation, which makes it harder to pluck with accuracy. To make things easy, just focus on pulling one hair at a time.
9. Comb it out. Make it a rule to re-comb your brows after every five plucks. And on your very last comb-out you can use the small scissors and comb technique for trimming any extra long hairs.
10. End with some TLC. Apply a moisturizer or serum that contains aloe vera or chamomile extract immediately after plucking to soothe redness.
Effective tweezing takes practice, so if you're just starting out, be patient with yourself. Tweeze just a little bit every day to get your eyebrows to take shape, and always remember that the worst tweezing mistake that you can make is to over-pluck.
Ah… the beauty department beauty blog never lets us down! Whether you want to learn how to paint on the perfect cat eye liner
…or have super fine hair but want to sport super subtle waves
…TBD is the ticket. Check it out now!
Eating well away from home is hard, particularly when you're on a tight schedule while on a business trip or a tour. More often than not, you find yourself eating at restaurants, picking up snacks from vending machines in rest stops and grabbing quick grub on the go from gas stations. Although the number of healthy foods you run across is greatly limited, it is possible to eat healthy while on the go if you keep a few simple tips in mind.
1. Make a cheat sheet. Fast food and chain restaurants are common stops for meals when you're on the road, and most of these places have at least one healthy eating option. Before you leave for your trip, research the calorie counts and nutritional information for major restaurants and either write down healthy options or enter them into your phone. This cheat sheet can be a valuable resource even when you're not on the go.
2. Pack a snack. You know that healthy foods will be in short supply while you're away, so bring along a few quick, wholesome foods that you can eat on the go. Bananas, whole-wheat crackers, roasted nuts and seeds are all healthy snack options that are highly portable.
3. Plan your stops. By planning ahead and determining which exits along the highways you'll be traveling have access to healthier fare, you can plan to get gas and stretch your legs in places where you can also score a nutritious meal or snack. Grocery stores are great sources for low cal prepared foods, and many convenience stores now carry easy-to-eat healthy snacks like fresh fruit and Greek yogurt.
4. Don't forget about beverages. Drinks are one of the sneakiest sources of calories in our diets both at home and on the road. Make sure when you're choosing beverages, you pick water, 100 percent pure fruit juices and unsweetened green tea. Keep yourself well hydrated, even if it means frequent bathroom pit stops. Thirst can often be mistaken for hunger and result in a sudden travel-eating binge.
5. Supplement it. Even if you make smart choices for your on-the-go dining, you may end up deficient in key nutrients, as it can be hard to eat a completely balanced diet on the road. Consider taking a daily multivitamin to ensure that you're getting everything your body requires.
By following these tips, you should have an easier time eating healthy while you're traveling, but on those occasions where you do slip up, don't panic. Remember that a healthy diet is a lifestyle; one meal is unlikely to lead to a weight problem. Forgive yourself, move on and get back on track the next day.
We've all heard the buzz about super foods, those superheroes of nutrition that save your body from obesity and disease while raising your energy levels. Food manufacturers and restaurants have caught onto the craze and seem to bill everything from muffins to sports drinks as "super." Curious about which foods truly lived up to the title; I conducted some research of my own and then created this top 10 list of super foods.
1. Salmon - Whether you like it grilled, broiled or raw as sushi, salmon is one of the best sources of omega fatty acids around. Eat just 3 ounces of the fish, and you'll have consumed 100 percent of your body's daily requirements for omega 3. Studies have found that omega 3 helps with brain function, improves cardiovascular health and can keep joints healthy and strong. Just make sure to opt for wild-caught salmon, which is lower in calories and richer in nutrients than farmed.
2. Organic Tea - Organic red, green and black teas are very rich in antioxidants, nutrients that fight the free radicals that cause our bodies to age. In clinical studies, green tea has been found to lower one's risk of developing cancer, slash cholesterol levels and even improve hardening of the arteries in men with heart disease.
3. Acai - Another excellent partner in the fight against free radicals, the acai berry contains more than 10 times the amount of antioxidants found in grapes. Acai berries are also high in dietary fiber and contain all of the amino acids that your body requires. If you choose to drink acai berry juice, be sure to look for 100 percent pure juice rather than drinks with acai berry flavoring.
4. Hot Peppers - Capsaicinoids, the chemicals in hot peppers that make them so intense on the palate, are remarkably good for the body. These natural chemicals fight inflammation and are shown to alleviate symptoms of arthritis, increase the metabolism and lower the risk of cancer. Chili peppers contain double the amount of Vitamin C found in oranges, making them excellent for boosting the immune system.
5. Quinoa - Sometimes lumped in with grains, quinoa is actually a seed that is very rich in amino acids, fiber and protein. In clinical studies, quinoa has been shown to improve blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Quinoa is easy to add to the diet because it can be used as a substitution for rice and almost all types of grains.
6. Seeds - Nearly all seeds provide massive doses of key nutrients that are highly beneficial for the body. For example, flaxseed is the best dietary source for cancer-fighting lignans, and just one-quarter cup of sunflower seeds gives you half of your day's vitamin E requirements. When purchasing roasted seeds, be sure to check sodium levels or purchase raw seeds to add to recipes or roast on your own.
7. Yogurt - Calcium is absolutely essential to bone health and is particularly important for women as we age. One serving of yogurt has more calcium than a single serving of whole milk or cheese. In fact, the only natural food with more calcium per serving than yogurt is sardines. When choosing yogurts, opt for Greek varieties, as these tend to contain double the lean protein found in traditional yogurt.
8. Spinach and other Leafy Greens - Turns out Popeye really was strong because of his spinach. This green contains 500 percent of one day's dose of vitamin K, which is essential to bone health and helps with blood clotting. Other leafy greens are also excellent sources for key nutrients, such as collard greens, which contain vitamin A and nutrients that are essential for eyesight. Mustard greens, kale and watercress are additional nutritious greens. It’s best to consume your greens raw…such as, in salads, smoothies and sauces in order to get the full benefits of their nutrients.
9. Garlic - Flavonoids in garlic encourage the body to produce the antioxidant glutathione, which is vital to fighting disease and promoting cardiovascular health. Garlic is known to lower the risk of some forms of cancer, decrease blood pressure and cholesterol levels, boost brain functioning in Alzheimer's patients and help the immune system fight illnesses.
10. Avocados - Every healthy diet must include some fats, and you won't find a healthier source than avocados. Studies have found that avocados help the body to absorb key nutrients, particularly when consumed simultaneously with a wholesome food, such as in a salad, sauce or on a sandwich.
I hope this list will help you make better decisions at mealtimes and incorporate more wholesome, nutritious foods into your diet. While you simply can't eat all of these super foods every day, make it a goal to eat at least one or two daily. For specific dietary advice about how many super foods your body requires, talk to your doctor or see a nutritionist.
Spring break and the approach of summer mean vacation season is upon us, and while everyone looks forward to going away, few of us actually enjoy the traveling part. Since we can't snap our fingers and end up in our destinations with everything that we need to have fun and look fabulous, packing and hopping on a plane, a train or into your automobile is still a necessary part of the package.
Fortunately, you can at least make the packing part a little more pleasant. The key is to pack light, but to pack smart, so that you'll have everything on hand needed to enjoy your vacation and look great in the process. To pack like a pro, just follow these tips.
1. As you proceed through the following steps, create a list of what you'll be packing. Tell yourself you will only put in your suitcase the items on the list and nothing more.
2. Before you even get out your luggage, you should get your laptop or tablet and conduct a few searches. Find out what the temperature averages are for your destination at the time of year that you're traveling. Check the weather forecast. Ask yourself what type of outerwear you'd wear in those conditions at home. A sweatshirt? A light jacket? A heavy coat? A loose wrap? Whatever it is, add it to your list. That's the only outerwear that you'll need.
3. Use your favorite map site or app to look at a map of where you're staying. See what stores are nearby. Write down the locations or put them in your phone. This will help you later when you start to debate whether or not you may or may not need something. Make it a rule that if you can buy it at a nearby store, you won't bring an item that you're on the fence about.
4. Send an email to your hotel concierge to ask what amenities and toiletries are available compliments of the house. Also, inquire about any toiletries that can be purchased for a nominal fee from the front desk. I recommend that you take advantage of any complimentary items that the hotel provides or purchase them if they are reasonably priced. Many hotels will have items like toothbrushes and toothpaste available for $1.00 or $2.00, which is less than you'd expect to pay for sample sizes or travel sizes at home.
5. Choose clothing for activities. Next, decide what items you'll need in order to enjoy activities on your trip. Don't think about specific items, just categories. Will you need comfortable shoes for sightseeing? A bikini, towel and sunscreen for the beach? Write down the must-haves for what you'll be doing during the day.
6. Determine your clothing for night. If you'll be eating at nicer restaurants or attending an evening event that is dressy, add appropriate clothing, accessories and shoes to the list.
7. Now that you have a basic list, go back and determine how many of each item you'll need. To pack light, plan to re-wear. In most cases, you only need one top per day and one bottom for every 2 days. Take along some soap packets to use in case of emergency if you end up with a stain or soiling.
8. Choose a color scheme for your trip. This will allow you to mix and match all of your items more easily, so that you can pack less.
9. Pare down your cosmetics. All of us are tempted to bring every variety of makeup in our drawers with us when we head out of town. Try to limit yourself to only what you wear on a daily basis, or better yet, purchase a special compact with eye shadow blush and powder combined to take with you.
10. When it's time to actually pack your suitcase, put everything that’s on your list on your bed. Only when it's all there should you start packing. This prevents you from tossing in things haphazardly at the last moment.
11. Wear the bulkiest things you're bringing when you're traveling and plan to wear them home as well. This will instantly make your suitcase lighter.
12. You'll likely shop when you're on your vacation, which can lead to difficulty bringing everything home in your suitcase. Plan to mail dirty clothes and other non-essentials home to yourself mid-way through or at the end of your trip. The concierge at your hotel can help you get a box and seal it if you need assistance.
By following these tips, you can get yourself packed and ready to go in record time. Wherever you're headed, enjoy your trip and savor the moment.
Perfectly applied foundation is the start of any beautiful makeup look, whether you're simply heading out to run errands or preparing for an important event like your wedding. To help ensure a flawless finish, many makeup artists now apply foundation using an airbrush. The results possible with this technique have made airbrush foundation a true sensation; there's even a line of home airbrush systems available for those who want to get the look without a visit to the spa or salon.
Not sure exactly what airbrush foundation is and whether or not it's right for you? I've done some research and put together this brief guide to airbrush makeup to help you out.
How It Works
Airbrush foundation is applied with a special wand, which is attached to an air pressure machine via tubing. The wand is filled with either a makeup pod or a liquid foundation intended for airbrushes. Once the wand is turned on, the pressure machine shoots condensed air through the wand. This breaks the makeup up into tiny particles, so that it applies evenly all over the complexion when it is emitted from the wand.
Benefits of Airbrush Foundation
There are several benefits to wearing airbrushed foundation over traditional makeup:
- More even, full application. Airbrush foundation can leave your skin looking flawless, yet still natural because of the small particles of makeup that the brush deposits on your skin.
- Photo-ready face. Airbrushed makeup tends to show up better in photographs, which is why so many brides opt for it on their big days.
- Long-lasting. The best quality airbrush foundations can remain in place for up to 16 hours.
- Lightweight. Although it will fully hide skin imperfections, airbrush foundation feels very lightweight, making it excellent for women who love the look of makeup, but not the feel.
- Water-resistant. Typically, airbrush makeup will not wipe off, run or fade even if you cry or brush against your face.
- Breathable. Because airbrush foundation is made up of tiny particles, the air can more easily reach your skin when your makeup is on. Proper oxygenation is important to having healthy skin, so some proponents of airbrush makeup say that it is better for the complexion; however, we don't have enough scientific information to prove this theory yet.
Drawbacks of Airbrush Foundation
Despite the many benefits of airbrush foundation, there are some drawbacks as well.
- Cost. The biggest deterrent to choosing airbrush foundation is often cost. Both professional applications and at-home machines come at hefty prices that many people can't justify for everyday or frequent use.
- Limited product options. When you use an airbrush system at home, you'll need to select foundations that work with the wand, so if you have a favorite brand, you'll likely have to give it up.
- Technique. An airbrush foundation application is only as good as the technique used to perform it. When you first purchase a home system, it will take time to develop the right technique, so don't get an airbrush and assume you’ll be ready to do your own wedding makeup the following day. The skill levels of makeup artists can also vary widely, so if you're planning to use airbrush makeup for a special event, be sure to have a trial run ahead of time.
In the end, only you can decide if airbrush foundation application or purchasing a machine is right for you. If you opt for visiting a salon or spa, make sure that their reputation for performing this service is stellar. Should you choose to purchase a home airbrush machine, only shop through reputable stores and websites. These are good rules of thumb for getting that flawless airbrush look without any unwanted drama.
Pregnancy is one of the most joyous and exciting times in a woman's life, but along with all the positive emotions, many women find themselves feeling apprehensive. Anxiety during pregnancy can have many causes and center on many different things, but often, it relates to changes that a woman's body goes through during pregnancy.
While most women are prepared to get bigger as their babies grow, many are not as familiar with the other changes that are commonplace during pregnancy. Among these changes are:
- Skin changes - With your hormone levels fluctuating so much during pregnancy, your skin can go through many different changes. Some women develop acne during pregnancy for the first time in their lives. Another common skin change during pregnancy is melasma, a skin discoloration that occurs largely in response to sun exposure and appears like a mask on the complexion. Stretch marks or striae may also appear on the breasts or stomach during pregnancy.
- Hair changes - One piece of good news about pregnancy is that many women notice an improvement in the fullness and thickness of their hair. This is because hair shedding typically decreases during the months leading up to birth; however, it will resume following delivery and sometimes occur rapidly, giving rise to concern about hair loss.
- Digestive changes - Morning sickness is a well-known symptom of pregnancy, but many women experience other digestive system changes. The most common of these is acid reflux, a burning sensation in the upper chest caused by stomach acid leaking back into the esophagus. This occurs during pregnancy because of pressure being exert on the valve that typically keeps the stomach acid inside the stomach.
- Urinary changes - Many pregnant women find themselves urinating far more frequently during pregnancy. This is caused largely by the weight of the baby pushing against the bladder. Some women even experience urine leakage when they sneeze, cough or laugh.
- Sleep changes - Insomnia is a very common problem during pregnancy. Excitement, anxiety and an ever-changing body shape all can all make it difficult for women to relax and fall asleep, even if they feel tired at the end of the day.
- Leg changes - Numbness and pain in the front and back of the legs affect many women during pregnancy. Varicose veins may also develop on the legs. These symptoms occur due to the excess weight being exerted on the lower body as well as the growing fetus pushing on key nerves.
Not all pregnant women experience all of these changes, and experiences can even vary during a woman's first, second and subsequent pregnancies. If you're experiencing symptoms that are concerning or are struggling with any of the above body changes during pregnancy, there may be steps that you can take to get relief. Talk to your doctor about how best to manage the changes and have a happy, healthy pregnancy.
From the silver screen to the TV screen, actresses throughout the decades have captured the hearts and the interest of men and women alike with their talents and their beauty. Most top beautiful actresses’ lists that we see typically focus on women from the last two or three decades, so we were interested in doing something a little different for this BR countdown.
For our countdown, we started with the golden age of cinema, the 1940s, and worked forward through the years, looking for women whose beauty turned heads, wowed audiences, enamored the press and even came to signify the times.
1. Rita Hayworth - With her strawberry blonde locks and sly smile, Rita Hayworth appeared in 61 films. A natural brunette, Rita went through a rigorous beauty regimen to maintain her looks; she even had electrolysis done on her hairline to move it back and make her appear more like the ideal picture of beauty for the times.
See her in: Gilda (1946), The Lady from Shanghai (1947), Cover Girl (1944)
2. Audrey Hepburn - One of the most enduring images of glamor from movies is the famous shot of screen legend Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). The British starlet has been listed as one of the most fashionable women of all time and one of the greatest actresses who ever lived, and we here at Beauty Research also feel that she possessed a very natural beauty and a definite charm on screen. Hepburn was also a well-known humanitarian who volunteered extensively for UNICEF and other organizations.
See her in: Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), Sabrina (1954), Roman Holiday (1953)
3. Natalie Wood - A child star, Natalie Wood made her debut on the silver screen at age 9 in 1947's "Miracle on 34th Street." Growing up in the public eye, Wood was known for her large, beautiful eyes and her pouty lips. Often, people focus upon her untimely death by drowning at the age of 43, but we feel her talent as an actress and her impeccable style deserve recognition as well and have certainly earned her a place on this countdown.
See her in: Rebel Without a Cause (1955), West Side Story (1951), Splendor in the Grass (1961)
4. Marilyn Monroe - There's no question that Marilyn Monroe is one of the world's biggest sex symbols of all time. With her bright smile, her blonde voluminous hair and that tiny mole above her lip, Monroe was on the cover of every magazine; and the still-shot from the "Seven Year Itch" of her standing atop the sewer grate trying to keep her skirt down remains sensual and alluring even today.
See her in: Some Like It Hot (1959), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)
5. Farrah Fawcett - During the 1970s, that famous poster of Farrah Fawcett found its way onto the bedroom walls of teenaged boys and the lockers of grown men all around the world. Her trademark feathered sandy blonde hairdo became one of the signature styles of the decade, and today, Fawcett remains on many lists of the most beautiful and sexy television stars of all time.
See her in: Charlie’s Angels, series (1976), The Cannonball Run (1981)
6. Michelle Pfeiffer - In the early 1980s, Michelle Pfeiffer became a breakout star and landed herself as one of the decade's biggest sex symbols. Her penetrating eyes and mysterious smile drew all eyes toward her, and she appeared on a countless number of magazine covers for nearly the entire decade. The 58-year-old actress still has a very active career, and she remains a true beauty.
See her in: Scarface (1981), Dangerous Liaisons (1988), Batman Returns (1992)
7. Julia Roberts - With her luscious mouth and bubbly persona, Julia Roberts embodies natural beauty, both on the screen and off. She emerged on the screen in the late 1980s and earned her first Oscar nod in 1989 for "Steel Magnolias." Born in Atlanta, Roberts turns 46 this year and remains one of Hollywood's most beautiful faces. She is widely considered one of the most popular actresses of the last three decades.
See her in: Pretty Woman (1990), Erin Brockovich (2000), Notting Hill (1999)
8. Jennifer Aniston - In the 90s, Jennifer Aniston's beauty was so widely known and buzzed about that her hairstyle on the show "Friends" had women flocking to the salons to get their own “Rachel” ‘do. Another woman who effortlessly exudes natural beauty and charm, Aniston’s career started in 1993 with the cult favorite horror film "Leprechaun," and the 44-year-old actress continues to wow at every public appearance.
See her in: Friends, series (1994-2004), The Good Girl (2002), Along Came Polly (2004)
9. Halle Berry - The first African-American actress to ever receive an Oscar for Best Actress, Halle Berry has broken down barriers and has been voted to many "Most Beautiful" lists during her career. The actress' eyes and cheekbones are some of her best features, and her glamorous qualities and acting chops have even earned her a place among the Bond Girls. The Cleveland native will turn 47 this year.
See her in: Monster's Ball (2001), Swordfish (2002), Gothika (2003)
10. Jennifer Lawrence - Today, Jennifer Lawrence is taking the world by storm. The press and audiences alike adore her beauty as well as her talent. In addition to being beautiful, Lawrence has a certain humility or real-ness about her that only adds to her charm. For instance, when the 22-year-old was featured in a stunning magazine spread recently, she said that the photos were photo-shopped and that "no one looks that way."
See her in: Winter's Bone (2010) The Hunger Games (2012), Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
There you have it, Beauty Research's picks for the 10 Most Beautiful Actresses of All Time. Honorable mentions could be given to many other women, including Dorothy Dandridge, Jane Russell, Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, Raquel Welch, Olivia Newton-John, Demi Moore, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Charlize Theron and many, many more.
Have a favorite we missed? Make your case in the "Comments" section.
Love beauty products…but on a budget? The Drugstore Princess is a great beauty blog for those who love fab beauty advice, stellar recommendations AND illustrations posted in big gorgeous glossy photographs. The royal author offers up suggestions for every consumer, no matter their budget. Check out Princess Hilary’s March 13 Hits and Misses post…it’s certainly a hit!
Every woman has that one little black dress in her wardrobe that makes her feel sexy, confident and beautiful every time she puts it on. Not only is the little black dress a flattering look for almost every body type, but it's also an essential fashion must-have because of the infinite number of ways that you can dress it up or dress it down. With the right accessories, you can recreate your favorite black frock again and again.
If you need some inspiration for how to glitz up your favorite little number, check out these five ideas.
1. Layer your neckline - Adding intrigue at the neckline of a little black dress can make it appear like an entirely new ensemble. Try mixing together strings of real or synthetic pearls in different diameters and lengths. You can also mix beaded necklaces in two complementary colors or combine various gold and silver chains.
2. Color your gams - If you're heading out on a chilly spring evening, you can slip into some colored tights to give your black dress a pop of color. A solid, dark-colored tight can give you a very clean line along the leg that is incredibly slimming and a knockout style when combined with pumps. For a more exotic look, choose a bold print.
3. Belt the waist - Slipping a belt around the middle will instantly give your little black dress a makeover. You can opt for a beaded or sequined look to add shine to your ensemble, or go for a black leather belt with embellishments like braiding or silver studs.
4. Shrug it off - A pretty shrug or a bolero can add a romantic finishing touch to your little black dress. To look fashionable this spring, choose a style in one of the season's hottest colors like poppy red, violet, nectarine or turquoise. You can also put black on black by picking a style with beading or sequins.
5. Pin it on - Brooches are perhaps the most under-worn accessories, so pinning on a lovely vintage cameo or modern pin will have you looking fashion forward. You can play with adding pins to the hip of your little black dress as well as to the chest.
Remember: the sexiest accessory that you can put with your little black dress is your own self-confidence. When you choose items that make you feel comfortable and fabulous, you're sure to be in fashion.
Even if you try to eat as healthy as you can, it's just not always possible to get all of the nutrients that your body needs to functional optimally and build healthy skin, hair and nail cells. It can even be hard to know if you're getting enough nutrients or not, unless you track everything you eat and add up the amount of every vitamin and mineral that you consume during the day. Fortunately, you can ensure that you receive adequate nutrition by taking fine quality dietary supplements. These products help to give your healthy diet a boost and can greatly improve everything from your energy levels to your appearance.
Supplements aren't just made by pharmaceutical companies. Many skin care companies are now formulating supplements that complement the actions of their products. Today, I'll be discussing supplements from two brands: Perricone MD and Murad. I chose these two brands due to the stellar reputations of both the Perricone and Murad skin care collections and the large number of positive Perricone reviews and Murad reviews found online.
Promote Health, Wellness and Beauty with Perricone Products
The Perricone MD collection was created by Dr. NV Perricone, a board-certified dermatologist. Dr. Perricone was one of the first doctors to ever discuss the negative effects that inflammation have upon the body and to label inflammation as an agent of aging. In addition to creating the Perricone MD cosmeceuticals collection, the doctor has published several books, gives lectures around the world and maintains a Twitter feed where he posts skin care tips and tricks. For those that wish to follow the doctor, his Twitter feed is DrPerricone, but often, people use the hashtag nvperriconemd when discussing him online.
The Perricone collection includes several different supplement options, but I'll be focusing on two that consistently receive positive comments in Perricone MD reviews. The first is the Perricone MD Vitamin C Ester Dietary Supplement, a product that is perfect for those who wish to increase their intake of vitamin C. This antioxidant vitamin fights inflammation and encourages your skin cells to produce collagen. In addition, vitamin C fights skin dullness and limits the harmful effects of the free radicals that can cause the skin to age.
The Perricone MD Skin and Total Body Dietary Supplements also receive rave reviews online. Not just one product, Total Body is a collection of packets that contain a complete daily vitamin regimen. The reported benefits of the Perricone MD Skin and Total Body Dietary Supplements are lower cholesterol levels, more hydrated skin, a healthier cardiovascular system and strengthened hair, skin, nails and joints. If you don't currently take multivitamins, these supplements are an easy way to get started.
Protect and Firm Your Skin with Murad Products
The Murad spa and skin care collection was also developed by a physician: Howard Murad, M.D. What’s impressive is that Dr. Murad is both a pharmacist and a board-certified dermatologist. He also teaches dermatology at UCLA and has published books on skin care. As a pharmacist and physician, Dr. Murad is an expert at creating scientifically-based, cosmeceutical skin care formulas, and his Murad professional collection is used and recommended by many dermatologists around the world. His skin care collection is perhaps best well known for his Murad Men, Murad Acne Complex and Murad Resurgence products.
Murad online reviews are filled with positive comments. Along with glowing remarks in Murad Acne Complex reviews and Murad Resurgence reviews, you'll also find many positive comments for the Murad Firm and Tone Dietary Supplement Pack and the Murad Pomphenol Sunguard Dietary Supplement. The latter supplement is rich in pomegranate extract and used to shield skin from the aging effects of the sun. Taking the supplements daily can reduce the amount of oxidative damage caused to your skin and body cells by the free radicals in UV, helping to reduce the symptoms associated with the aging process.
The Murad Firm and Tone Dietary Supplement Pack is formulated to fight sagging skin and to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. The supplement was shown in clinical trials to boost skin's firmness by up to 78 percent in 6 weeks and to improve the texture of the skin by up to 47 percent during that time frame. The supplements come in pre-measured packs with five different supplements included in each pack.
Creating Regimens with Murad and Perricone Skin Care
To get the most from taking a supplement from the Perricone or Murad cosmetics ranges, I would recommend creating a customized skin care regimen that complements the product's actions. If you are taking the Murad Firm and Tone Dietary Supplement Pack, you may benefit from Perricone MD Cold Plasma, which contains DMAE to enhance skin's firmness and improve its overall tone. You may also like the Murad Night Reform Treatment, which uses glycolic acid to exfoliate your skin while you sleep.
Opting for the Perricone MD Vitamin C Ester Dietary Supplement? You'll want to choose products that work well with vitamin C, such as the Murad Active Radiance Serum, which gives skin's radiance a boost. The Murad Intensive Wrinkle Reducer for Eyes may also be a beneficial addition to your regimen if you're taking the supplement due to concerns about reduced collagen levels and sagging around your eyes.
The Murad Pomphenol Sunguard Dietary Supplement is best complemented by products that offer additional protection from signs of aging or that help to regenerate the skin tissue. Some helpful formulas include the Murad Moisture Silk Eye Gel and the Murad Essential-C Daily Renewal Complex.
Along with treatment products, you should also select a cleanser designed for your skin type. A perfect example would be the Murad Clarifying Cleanser for those with oily skin. You should also purchase a moisturizer that is ideal for your complexion, such as the Perricone MD Face Finishing Moisturizer for aging skin.
Shopping for Murad and Perricone Online
When you're ready to buy Murad or Perricone products online, you should take your time and research available Murad and Perricone MD coupon offers and sales. Infrequently, www.perriconemd.com and www.murad.com offer discounts when you buy Perricone or Murad products from specific collections, but your best bet to find a Perricone coupon or Murad coupon is to search for deals on the sites of other retailers.
Many stores will promote a Perricone sale or a Murad sale during the year, and sometimes retailers will release secret codes that allow shoppers to receive discounts. You can often find out about these secret codes by researching online and reading deals sites and blogs. When you're conducting searches, you may also want to search for "Pericone," a common misspelling of the Perricone MD brand name.
By taking your time and shopping carefully, you can find a great deal. Just be careful about auction sites that sell Perricone discount formulas and Murad discount products. When you purchase from an auction site, you run the risk of not receiving genuine products, something you don't want to gamble on when it comes to supplements. Your best bet is to buy from reputable retailers, so that you can be sure that the products you receive can really help you fill the diet gap.
Ever notice that you just feel better when you know that you smell nice? Fragrance truly has the power to improve your mood, and the right combination of scents can do everything from give you an energy boost to soothe your nerves and make it easier to relax and unwind. The key to smelling and feeling your best every day is to choose the right body scent products. In today's skin care collection, you'll find a huge range of options for body fragrance from scented lotions to oils to body sprays to traditional perfume. To help you find your perfect signature scent, I'll be discussing two of the leading brands in body fragrance: H2O Plus and Philosophy.
Discover the Best of the Sea with H2O Plus Skin Care
The H2O Plus cosmetics and skin care collection is formulated around ingredients derived from the sea. By using nutrient-rich seaweed, marine proteins and other natural elements that are native to the ocean, H2O Plus is able to create products that are gentle on the skin, yet still incredibly effective. The brand is very well known for the beautiful scents of its products. In fact, the fragrances are so luxurious that H2O Plus shampoo was chosen as the brand of choice for Disney luxury resorts.
When you read H2O Plus reviews, you'll frequently see people raving about H2O Plus Mariel Eau de Parfum. This luxury perfume was created with the help of actress Mariel Hemmingway, who got her inspiration from the beautiful scents found in nature. The fragrance is a combination of natural jasmine, lemon and rose oils, and it is perfect for applying at the pulse points to bathe yourself in scent.
The H2O Plus skin care products collection also includes wonderfully scented lotions like the H2O Plus Kiwi-Cassis Moisture Boosting Balm. Not only does this formula have a tangy, warm fragrance, but it also helps to fight skin dehydration. When applied after bathing or showering, the H2O Plus Kiwi-Cassis Moisture Boosting Balm softens and nourishes the skin tissue with a blend of shea butter, aloe vera, provitamin B and vitamin E. The scent of the lotion is lovely on its own, or you can wear it beneath H2O Plus Mariel Eau de Parfum.
Adopt a New Outlook with the Philosophy Fragrance Collection
Philosophy products are undoubtedly some of the most popular skin care formulas in the world, thanks to their scents and the brand's simple approach to beauty. All of the products in the Philosophy collection are straightforward, easy to use and gentle on the skin, and they even feature uplifting titles like Philosophy Hope in A Jar and Philosophy Purity Made Simple. The brand is perhaps best well known for its therapeutic Philosophy Help Me line, which features products like the Philosophy Microdelivery Peel, and its fragrance collections, which include a variety of scents like Philosophy Purity, Philosophy Amazing Grace and Philosophy Pure Grace.
Of all the scents in the Philosophy collection, the Philosophy Amazing Grace fragrance range is the best-selling. The scent is light and clean, so it's perfect for women who do not want a fragrance that is too overpowering. The Pure Grace range was inspired by that just-from-the-shower feeling and has a simple scent reminiscent of soap and water.
While the Philosophy Amazing Grace Perfume and Pure Grace Perfume collections do feature traditional products like eau du parfum, I want to focus on lesser known fragrance options: Philosophy Pure Grace Satin-Finish Body Oil Mist and Philosophy Amazing Grace Satin-Finish Body Oil Mist. These formulas contain botanical emollients that hydrate the skin similar to body oil; however, they are far more lightweight and can be sprayed on for convenience. Both the Philosophy Amazing Grace Satin-Finish Body Oil Mist and the Philosophy Pure Grace Satin-Finish Body Oil Mist are formulated to become absorbed very rapidly to avoid leaving the skin feeling greasy or clogging the pores. All the oils leave behind is their beautiful fragrance.
Finding Your Ideal Scent
Now that you've received an introduction to the unique body fragrance options in the H2O Plus and Philosophy skin care collections, it's time for you to conduct some research on your own to choose the right scent for your needs. Taking the time to read H2O Plus and Philosophy reviews is a good starting point. Read about how the fragrances are described and see what sounds appealing.
You may also want to monitor the websites of your favorite retailers to look for an H2O Plus sale or a Philosophy sale in order to save money. Sometimes, you can also find H2O Plus coupon and Philosophy coupon discounts advertised on blogs and on bargain websites.
In addition, keep your eye out for money-saving sets and kits. H2O Plus products are sometimes grouped with other products, like the H2O Hydrating Body Butter, and offered at a reduced price. Philosophy frequently does the same with the Philosophy Amazing Grace, Philosophy Pure Grace, Philosophy Save Me and Philosophy the Fragrance collections. These sets give you the opportunity to stock up on products with matching fragrances and save in the process.
Whether you choose a fragrance from the H2O Plus skincare range, the Philosophy cosmetics collection or another luxury skin care company, taking your time to properly research before you buy will help you select the best fragrance and get it at the best price.
After waiting so long for spring, it's time to savor the season by enjoying the warmer weather and the beautiful sight of everything beginning to bloom. While you don't want the spring to pass too quickly, if you've bought some cute sandals already this season, you need to start thinking about getting your tootsies ready for summertime. During the winter, our feet often suffer, and it can take several weeks to address the damage that they sustained from dry air and sweating inside boots for months. To pretty up your tootsies and be ready to wow when it's warm enough to break out the sandals, follow these easy tips.
- Conduct a pig inspection. The first step toward improving the look of your piggies is to find out what needs work. Lie down on your back, raise your legs over your head and look at your feet. Then, sit on a chair and examine the tops, sides and soles of your feet up close. In addition to just focusing on what needs fixing, make yourself notice one nice thing about your feet as well.
- Tackle calluses. If you have rough, thickened skin on your feet, invest in a foot file. This tool allows you to gradually shave off the thickened skin. Use your file no more than three times per week and be careful not to apply too much pressure to avoid irritating your skin.
- Treat nail fungus. Brittleness, crumbling and discoloration are signs of the presence of nail fungus, microbes that colonize on your nails. There are many brush-on solutions available to help you destroy the fungus and get your toenails back in shape. Follow the directions on the packaging and be sure not to over-apply any treatment.
- Exfoliate your toes. Even if you don't have calluses, dead skin is likely to accumulate on your feet. Use a body scrub or a foot scrub twice per week to remove cellular debris and keep your feet smooth and soft.
- Soak your cares away. If your feet are aching at the end of the day, it's likely your skin is also paying the price for standing all day or wearing tight shoes. Soak your feet in bath oil, a foot treatment or bath salts to ease inflammation and soothe skin irritation.
- Give your pigs a drink. Just like your complexion, your feet need moisturizing twice per day to look their best. Aim to apply your moisturizer right after you bathe or shower and at another time during the day. For very dry feet, use a rich body butter or intensive foot treatment right before bed and then put your socks on to reap the benefits of the ingredients while you rest.
- Get a pedi. Even if you prefer do-it-yourself polishing, get one professional pedicure just before sandal season. This will get your toenails perfectly shaped and make it easy for you to maintain them all summer long.
- Pick your polishes. Stock up now on the pedicure supplies you'll need for your at-home pedis. Make sure to purchase a topcoat, a base coat and remover as well as your favorite shades. Hot colors for nail polish right now include cream, black, coral and lavender. Two-color polish looks with different polishes placed side by side and colored tips paired with neutral polish are also in fashion right now.
Now that you know the secrets to having sandal-ready feet, it's time to get those piggies into shape. Don't view your foot care routine as work; remember that taking good care of your toes is a fun way to spoil yourself. Your feet deserve to be pampered, and so do you.
More Posts « Previous page
- Next page »